Sizzling Fajita Pita Recipe: A Perfect Meal on-the-Go
Are you in the mood for something filling, flavorful, and easy to make? Look no further than my Fajita Pita recipe! This dish is perfect for any time of day, whether you’re looking for a quick breakfast, a satisfying lunch, or a tasty dinner.
This recipe is a twist on the classic chicken fajita, but with a convenient and portable pita pocket. The combination of tender chicken breast, sautéed bell peppers and onions, and zesty seasonings makes for a winning flavor profile that’s sure to please your taste buds.
In addition to being delicious, my Fajita Pita recipe is also a healthier option compared to some other fast food options out there. Made with fresh ingredients like tomatoes and iceberg lettuce instead of processed foods, you can feel good about nourishing your body while still enjoying a tasty meal.
So if you’re ready to have your taste buds singing with joy and your stomach full of goodness, let’s get started with my Fajita Pita recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a recipe that is quick, easy, and packs a punch of flavor? Look no further than my Fajita Pita Recipe! This dish is perfect for anyone who loves a good fajita but wants to switch up the delivery method. Trust me, you will love this recipe because it hits all the right notes.
Firstly, it’s incredibly versatile! You can use any meat of your choice. I suggest chicken breast as it cooks fast and soaks up the flavors well, but skirt steak or even sardines will do the trick. Additionally, you can add any veggies or toppings you like. Think pico de gallo, crunchy iceberg lettuce, juicy tomatoes, or sharp cheddar cheese. The possibilities are endless!
Secondly, it’s a low-carb option that won’t leave you feeling heavy or weighed down. With just 400 calories per serving, you can indulge guilt-free.
Lastly, it’s quick and easy to make! You know those copycat fajita pitas from Jack in the Box? Well, this recipe can rival those in both taste and speed. In just 30 minutes or less, you’ll have a plate full of flavor-packed fajita pitas ready to be devoured.
So what are you waiting for? Whip up my Fajita Pita Recipe tonight and taste for yourself why this recipe is quickly becoming a fan favorite.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this Fajita Pita Recipe:
- Chicken Breast: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 to 1.5 pounds) for this recipe, sliced into thin strips.
- Bell Pepper: You will need one chopped red bell pepper.
- Onion: Finely chop one small onion.
- Spices: A combination of chili powder (1 tsp), cumin (1 tsp), and fajita seasoning (1 tbsp) is used to season the chicken and vegetables.
- Garlic: 3 to 4 cloves of minced garlic will be used in this recipe.
- Oil: Canola oil is preferred for its high smoke point and neutral taste. Use 2 tablespoons of canola oil for cooking.
- Lime Juice: The juice of two limes (about 2 tablespoons) is added to give the dish a tangy flavor.
- Soy Sauce: Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to the dish to enhance the umami flavor.
- Pico de Gallo: You’ll need fresh pico de gallo or a chunky salsa (about 1/2 cup)to add a refreshing twist to your fajita pita.
- Iceberg Lettuce: Roughly shred a cup or two of iceberg lettuce for extra crunchiness and freshness.
- Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes (about 3/4 cup) may also be added as toppings.
- Cheddar Cheese: For that perfect cheesy goodness, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top of your pita.
Note: Divide the ingredient measurements if making smaller portions.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to prepare our mouth-watering Fajita Pitas. Make sure you have a big skillet for cooking and sliced chicken breast on hand.
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken Fajita
Start off by heating up 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large pan or working in batches if your pan is not big enough.
When that’s done, add 1 finely chopped medium-sized onion and let it cook until translucent.
Add chicken breast, sliced in strips, to the pan with the onions and let it cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add 1 diced red bell pepper cooking for an additional 2 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked through.
Finally, stir in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce along with 1 tablespoon each of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, brown sugar and lime juice.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Pita Bread
Heat up your skillet again over medium-high heat.
Brush each pita bread with about 1 teaspoon of olive oil on both sides.
Lay them flat on the hot skillet, pressing down gently with a spatula so that they cook evenly.
Cook until golden brown on both sides, it should take about a minute each side.
Step 3: Assemble Your Fajita Pitas
Place a generous scoop of chicken fajita mixture onto one side of each pita. Sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese on top of the chicken mixture, followed by some shredded iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and pico de gallo salsa on top.
Fold over the other half of the pita onto your toppings and gently press down to close it up tight together.
Now your delicious Fajita Pitas are ready to enjoy!
Pro Tip: You can also experiment with different sauces like ranch or hot sauce to add another layer of flavor to your pitas!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to switch things up, there are plenty of substitutions and variations to try with this Fajita Pita recipe. Here are a few options to consider:
– Meat: Instead of chicken breast, you could use skirt steak or shrimp for a different protein option. For vegetarians, try marinated tofu or mushrooms as a meat substitute.
– Spices: If you want to spice things up, you can add extra chili powder or cayenne pepper for more heat. You could even experiment with different spice blends like Cajun seasoning or Caribbean jerk seasoning.
– Vegetables: While the recipe calls for bell peppers and onions, you can swap in any veggies you like. Try mushrooms, zucchini, or even sweet potato for a unique twist.
– Cheese: Cheddar is a classic cheese choice for fajitas, but you could also use jack cheese or crumbled queso fresco for a different flavor profile.
– Pita pockets: If you can’t find large pita breads, try using small pita pockets instead. This makes them perfect for appetizers or snacks.
– Breakfast twist: With some modifications to the recipe, the Fajita Pitas can be made suitable for breakfast! Add cooked eggs and bacon or sausage links to make it a satisfying start to your day.
No matter what substitutions or variations you choose to make with this recipe, the flavors will surely not disappoint!
Serving and Pairing
Welcome back, my fellow foodies! Now that you have created this delicious fajita pita dish, it’s time to think about presentation and accompaniments. The beauty of this meal is that it can stand alone or be paired with other dishes and beverages to create a fantastic culinary experience.
When serving, I like to keep things simple and let the ingredients in the fajita pita shine through. A generous spoon of fresh pico de gallo on each pita adds an extra layer of flavor and texture. A few crisps of iceberg lettuce and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top will make your pitas look invitingly appetizing.
Fajita pitas also pair well with a cold beer or a margarita with lime wedges. These drinks are refreshing and complement the spiciness in the fajita seasoning. I personally enjoy a creamy avocado smoothie or a fruity iced tea as my non-alcoholic option.
If you’re entertaining guests, adding sides is always a great way to offer more options. Black beans or refried beans, tortilla chips with guacamole, and sautéed vegetables like zucchini or bell peppers are all great pairings for your fajita pita feast.
Finally, remember to indulge in what complements you best. The possibilities are endless with the versatility of the dish itself- it can be breakfast, lunch or dinner so let your creativity fly! Regardless of how you choose to serve your fajita pitas, make sure everyone has plenty of napkins ready because they’ll need them! Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re a meal planner and always on the go, this recipe is perfect for you. Chicken fajita pitas can be made ahead and stored in your refrigerator or freezer for later use. To make these pitas ahead of time, cook the chicken with the fajita seasoning in a skillet as directed in the recipe. After cooking, allow it to cool completely before assembling the pitas.
For storing the chicken fajita pitas, wrap them tightly in foil or plastic wrap to keep them fresh. You can store them for up to 3 days in your refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer. However, make sure that they are properly thawed before reheating.
To reheat frozen chicken fajita pitas, let them thaw overnight in your refrigerator. If you’re in a hurry, thaw them in a microwave or oven at a low temperature for about 5 minutes or until they reach room temperature. Then put them in a skillet over medium heat and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until heated through. You can also reheat them in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for about 10-15 minutes until they are hot and crispy.
Remember not to reheat these pitas too many times as it might dry out the chicken or vegetables inside. These chicken fajita pitas are perfect for a quick lunch or dinner when you don’t feel like cooking from scratch. So why not make a big batch of these delicious pitas and enjoy them throughout the week?
Tips for Perfect Results
When preparing Fajita Pitas, it’s important to keep in mind a few key tips to ensure perfect results. First and foremost, make sure to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes before cooking. This not only infuses the chicken with flavor but also helps keep it juicy and tender.
Another tip is to cook the vegetables separately from the chicken. While it may be tempting to combine everything in one pan, doing so can result in overcooked vegetables or undercooked chicken. By cooking them separately, you can cook each component just the right amount.
When making the pico de gallo, make sure to use fresh ingredients and chop everything evenly. This will give your dish a more balanced flavor and texture. You can also adjust the seasoning to your liking by adding more or less lime juice, garlic or chili powder.
When assembling the Fajita Pitas, layer the ingredients in a way that allows for easy and neat folding. Start with a base of iceberg lettuce or sliced tomatoes on the bottom of the pita and then add in the cooked chicken and vegetables on top.
Lastly, don’t overstuff your pitas! While it may be tempting to pile everything in, doing so can make it difficult to eat without everything falling out. Instead, aim for a balance of flavors and textures and don’t be afraid to leave some room for air.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create perfectly seasoned and balanced Fajita Pitas that are sure to impress your family and friends.
As we near the end of this recipe article, you might have some questions on your mind about this flavorful Fajita Pita Recipe that Chef Ehud has shared with us. In this section, we will answer some of the frequently asked questions about this recipe to ensure that you get the best out of your cooking experience. So sit tight and read on!
Are fajita pitas healthy?
If you’re looking for a wholesome yet satisfying meal, the grilled chicken fajita pita is a fantastic option to try. Not only is it packed with 27 grams of protein, which is ideal for muscle development, but it also contains only 7 grams of fat and 290 calories, making it a healthier alternative to many other dishes on the menu.
What is in the chicken fajita pita at Jack in the Box?
The Chicken Fajita Pita offered by Jack in the Box is a flavorful meal that consists of tender grilled chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, crisp lettuce, juicy tomato, and grilled onions, served in a soft pita bread that is rich in 16 grams of whole grain. Moreover, the dish comes with a side of fire-roasted salsa that adds more zest to its already zesty taste. This delectable dish is available at a reasonable price point of $4.99 in my local Jack in the Box outlet.
How many calories are in a chicken fajita pita?
The Chicken Fajita Pita Made With Whole Grain (with Salsa) from Jack In The Box provides a total of 36g carbs, out of which 32g are net carbs. With 12g of fat, 24g of protein, and 350 calories, it’s a filling meal option to consider.
What are the macros of fajita pita?
The regular Chicken Fajita Pita from Extreme Pita has a caloric value of 531 and contains 59g of total carbohydrates, 49g of net carbohydrates, 18g of fat, and 36g of protein.
In conclusion, the Fajita Pita Recipe is a must-try for those who are looking for a quick and easy meal that satisfies their cravings for Mexican food. This versatile recipe can easily be adapted to suit different dietary needs and tastes, making it a great option for anyone.
With its flavorful combination of spices, tender chicken breast, and fresh, colorful vegetables, you’ll discover why this recipe has become a favorite among food lovers everywhere who crave delicious flavors without sacrificing healthy eating habits.
So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today and enjoy the melt-in-your-mouth goodness of a perfectly crafted Fajita Pita. I’m sure it will be an instant hit with your family and friends!
Fajita Pita Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breast, skinless, boneless cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 -4 slices onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 -4 slices tomatoes, beefsteak
- 3 -4 slices iceberg lettuce, whole leaf
- 2 pieces pita bread, slightly heated
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo (optional)
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a ziplock bag. Add marinade. Seal the bag, pressing out any excess air, massage the marinade into the meat a bit. Refrigerate anywhere from 3-10 hours.
- When ready to prepare, brush the onion slices with a little oil, salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender, when done set aside.
- Place 1 teaspoon of oil in a large pan and heat over medium high heat. Add the chicken to the pan in a single layer.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until chicken is browned and cooked through. As chicken is finishing cooking add the sauteed onions and give it a good stir.
- Warm up the pita bread in the oven until pliable, slice them in half resulting in 4 half moon pockets. (The recipe calls for 3 so you will have a leftover or make 4 but they'll be lean).
- Carefully open the warmed pita and add a big slice of lettuce, the tomato, the chicken grilled onion mixture and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Top with pico de gallo, optional.