Attention all foodies! Are you a fan of Indian cuisine but are tired of ordering the same dishes every time you go out to eat? Well, look no further because I have a recipe that will surely knock your socks off. I’m Ehud and I’d like to share with you my friend Katy’s mouth-watering Chicken Tikka Biryani recipe.
There’s something special about biryani- it’s a dish that amalgamates spices in a way that makes each bite an explosion of flavor. But this isn’t your average biryani. This one includes juicy boneless chicken cooked to perfection with spices that make your taste buds dance.
As an Israeli chef, I know about the importance of well-spiced dishes. In this recipe, we combine cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, green cardamoms, black cardamom pods and caraway seed for the perfect balance. Don’t let these complicated names scare you off from trying it out- it’s easier than you think.
So, grab your aprons and let’s get started on this flavourful journey. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you ready for a taste explosion that will leave your mouth watering and your taste buds craving more? Look no further than Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani recipe! This dish combines the classic flavors of biryani with juicy pieces of chicken tikka, all layered together in perfect harmony.
This recipe is sure to become a staple in your meal rotation, not only because it is absolutely delicious but also because it is incredibly versatile. With just a few substitutions or additions, you can transform this dish to suit any occasion or palate.
The tender and flavorful chicken tikka adds protein and depth to this dish, while the spices like cloves, caraway seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, green cardamoms, and black cardamom pods bring warmth and complexity. And let’s not forget about the fragrant basmati rice, perfectly cooked and infused with saffron, milk, ghee, and lemon juice.
Additionally, this recipe is great for entertaining guests. It creates a beautiful presentation that looks as impressive as it tastes. Plus, it makes enough for a crowd without breaking the bank!
Overall, if you’re looking for a meal that is packed with flavor, easy to make (trust me!), and versatile in its serving options – chicken biryani has you covered. So why wait? Head to your kitchen and start cooking up a storm with Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe!
- 1 and 1/2 cups of basmati rice
- 2 and 1/2 cups of water
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1/4 Tsp of Saffron soaked in warm milk
- 3 Tbsp of Ghee
- 1 small Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 1 Black cardamom pod
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- 500gm Boneless Chicken breast, cut into small pieces for tikka marination
- For Chicken Tikka Marination:
- Salt, to taste
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp of Ginger paste
- 2 Tbsp of Garlic paste
- 1/4th cup of Yogurt
- 2 Tsp of Garam masala powder
- 1 Tsp of Coriander powder
- 1 and 1/2 Tsp of Red chili powder (use less if you don’t want it too spicy)
- a pinch of Cumin powder
- Any other seasoning you prefer for chicken tikka
- Chopped coriander leaves, fried onions, etc., for garnishing.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Cook the marinated chicken
In a large pan over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of ghee and let it melt. Add in 2 cloves, 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, a cinnamon stick, a bay leaf, and 2-3 green cardamom pods. Fry for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
Then, add in the marinated chicken and cook until it is evenly browned on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2: Cook the basmati rice
Rinse 1 cup of basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in cold water for at least 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, dissolve a pinch of saffron in a tablespoon of warm milk and leave it to infuse.
In a pot with a lid, add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Drain the soaked rice and add it to the boiling water along with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Cook on high heat for about 6-7 minutes or until the rice is al dente. Drain any remaining water.
Step 3: Layer the biryani
In the same pot used to cook the rice, add in ghee, sliced onions, and whole spices (a bay leaf, 2-3 green cardamom pods) and fry until the onions are golden brown.
Add in garam masala powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and fry for few seconds.
Spread half of the cooked rice over the onion mixture in an even layer. Spread the cooked chicken tikka over the rice.
Spread remaining half of basmati rice on top of chicken tikka layer. Sprinkle fried onions on top along with chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice
Cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil then put over low flame for about 10 minutes or place in preheated oven at 170 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.
Step 4: Serve & Enjoy!
Serve the steaming hot Chicken Tikka Biryani with raita or yogurt sauce, papad, naan bread or just on its own! Dig into those delicious layers of spiced flavors that will truly leave your tastebuds dancing!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to cooking, sometimes we don’t have all the ingredients that a recipe recommends. That’s okay, because with some substitutions and variations, you can customize this chicken tikka biryani recipe however you like! Here are some ideas to get you started:
– Basmati Rice: If you can’t find basmati rice, any long-grain white rice will work. Just be sure to rinse it well and adjust cooking time accordingly.
– Chicken: While boneless chicken makes for easier preparation, you can also use bone-in chicken for more flavor. And if you prefer spicier chicken, try using smoked or tandoori chicken in place of the chicken tikka.
– Vegetarian: For a vegetarian twist on this recipe, swap the chicken for paneer or mixed vegetables. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and seasonings accordingly.
– Spices: Adjust the amount of spices to suit your taste buds. You can also experiment with different spice blends like garam masala or curry powder.
– Lemon Juice: If you don’t have fresh lemons, you can substitute it with apple cider vinegar or lime juice.
– Ghee: Clarified butter or vegetable oil can be used instead of ghee if needed.
– Saffron: It provides a distinct aroma and flavour to the biryani but if out of reach one can substitute it with turmeric.
Overall, feel free to experiment with different combinations of flavors until you find your perfect version of this classic dish.
Serving and Pairing
This chicken tikka biryani recipe is a showstopper dish that is sure to impress your guests. The rich flavors and colors make it perfect for a special dinner party or holiday gathering. The dish pairs well with a variety of sides and drinks, making it versatile for any occasion.
The first thing to consider when serving this dish is the rice. The biryani rice should be fluffed with a fork before serving and presented in a large serving dish. The chicken can be served on top of the rice or on a separate platter decorated with fresh herbs.
When it comes to side dishes, the options are endless. For a classic pairing, serve the chicken tikka biryani with raita or cucumber salad to balance out the heat of the spices. A tangy chutney or pickle can also complement the flavors.
If you’re looking for something more substantial, try serving naan or paratha bread alongside the biryani. These breads are perfect for scooping up the rice and chicken, making each bite even more satisfying.
To drink, consider pairing this dish with an Indian beer or a spicy red wine such as syrah or zinfandel. A sweet lassi or iced tea can also be refreshing alongside the heat of the spices.
Overall, the chicken tikka biryani recipe is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to impress any guest. With its complex flavors and bold presentation, it’s perfect for special occasions or a delicious dinner at home.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making the Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani in advance and reheating it can save you time in your busy schedule. To make-ahead, follow the recipe instructions until the point where you need to cook the rice. Once you get to this stage, let the biryani cool down then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to reheat, take out the container from the fridge or freezer and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. You can either reheat it in a microwave-safe dish by covering it with a lid or wrap, then microwaving on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, or reheat it on a stovetop by placing the biryani in a pot with a little water or chicken broth to keep it moist, and reheating over low heat while stirring frequently.
It’s important to note that this dish tends to dry out slightly when reheated since some of the moisture escapes during storage. To counteract this, sprinkle some water before reheating and fluff it with a fork when ready. This helps to prevent dryness and maintain optimal flavor.
The flavors of Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe become more vibrant as it sits, and storing them allows them to mingle further, thereby increasing their potency. If you have leftovers after reheating, don’t fret; they are still tasty and can be enjoyed as a light lunch or quick snack.
Always remember that good storage conditions guarantee maximum freshness and longevity. When storing your dish, ensure that you use clean utensils and containers and store in the fridge or freezer promptly after cooling down. Also, ensure that anything you use for reheating is clean and well sanitized. With careful attention to detail, expect your Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe leftovers to taste just as scrumptious as when freshly made!
Tips for Perfect Results
To make this Chicken Tikka Biryani taste like it came straight from an Indian kitchen, there are a few tips and tricks that I’ve learned along the way. These tips will help you achieve the best possible results and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.
1. Marinate the chicken overnight: Marinating the chicken for a few hours is good, but marinating it overnight will give it an irresistible flavor. The spices will penetrate deep into the meat, making it tender and flavorful.
2. Toast and grind your own spices: For an authentic biryani flavor, I recommend toasting and grinding your own spices.
3. Use aged basmati rice: To achieve the fluffy texture of biryani rice, it is important to use aged basmati rice.
4. Soak the rice before cooking: Soaking the basmati rice in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking helps the grains cook more evenly and prevents them from breaking during cooking.
5. Alternate layering of chicken and rice: When layering chicken and rice in the biryani pot, alternate layers to allow even distribution of flavors throughout.
6. Use saffron strands: Soak saffron strands in warm milk for at least 10 minutes before using to get maximum color and flavor.
7. Seal the biryani pot with dough: Sealing the biryani pot with dough ensures that no steam escapes during cooking, trapping all those delicious aromas inside.
By following these tips, you are sure to create a dish that is not only stunning but also packed full of flavor- exploring all aspects of its ‘smokey’, ‘spicy’ or ‘smokey spicy’ flavours!
Now that you have tried cooking Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani recipe, you may have some questions or concerns about the process, ingredients or variations. Below are some frequently asked questions and answers that will clarify certain aspects and help you achieve perfect results every time you make this popular biryani recipe.
What is the difference between chicken tikka biryani and chicken biryani?
The Chicken Tikka Biryani stands out from the traditional biryani for one particular reason- it requires the use of tikka instead of cooked or raw meat. While pre-made tikkas can be used, creating them at home yields the most favorable outcome. With the correct blend of spices, making the ideal tikkas is a stress-free task, and incorporating them into the biryani after is fairly straightforward.
How many calories in a chicken tikka biryani?
The calorie count for this dish can be measured in different ways, such as per serving, per 100 grams, or per ounce.
In conclusion, Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe is a dish that will surprise your taste buds with its bold flavor and heavenly aroma. This recipe has been tested and loved by many, and it can be easily customized to your liking with various substitutions and variations. With its mix of fragrant spices, tender chicken tikka, and fluffy basmati rice, this biryani dish is sure to satisfy your cravings for a spicy and savory meal.
Moreover, by following the steps carefully, it’s almost effortless to create this amazing dish at home. Make sure you use high-quality ingredients while preparing the recipe to ensure maximum flavor. Also, keep in mind the tips provided in the tips section to help you achieve perfect results every time.
So why not indulge yourself in a flavorful yet fulfilling meal this evening? Try out Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe and relish delicious flavors from Pakistan while sitting at home. I’m sure you won’t regret giving it a try!
Katy’s Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe
- 500 g chicken, filets (or 2 large breasts)
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon chicken tikka garam masala powder
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ghee (melted butter and garlic) or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 500 g basmati rice (flavored long grain rice)
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 3 -4 green cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (use cumin if not available)
- 3 -4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ghee or 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Thinly slice the onion and fry till golden brown. Take brown onions out of oil and spread on kitchen towel to drain excess oil. We will use these onions later.
- Start with marinating the chicken. Clean the chicken and make slit on chicken pieces with a knife so that the marinade goes well inside the chicken.
- Transfer chicken pieces in a mixing bowl, add yogurt, half of the brown onions, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and lemon juice. Chop handful of coriander, mint leaves and green chillies and add to the mixture. Add the mixture well. Don’t hesitate to use hands. Keep it aside for half an hour.
- While chicken is marinating soak the rice for at least half an hour.
- When chicken is marinated, start with rice. Boil two cups of rice, add black & green cardamoms, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, caraway seed, cloves, salt and ghee or oil. When water is boiled add rice into it. Keep close eye on rice, take it off the flame when rice is 80% and drain excess water. Make sure rice is not over cooked.
- Now we start with assembling chicken with rice. Put a heavy bottom pan on medium flame. Add 1 tbsp ghee or oil and transfer the chicken with all of the marinade. Let it cook till water dries out. In the meantime, soak saffron strands in milk. If you like more colour, add pinch of saffron food colour as well in milk.
- When water is dried from chicken, add a layer of half of the rice over the chicken. Spread coriander and mint leaves and brown onions over this layer. Place rest of the rice over this layer. Again spread remaining brown onions, coriander and mint leaves. Spread milk & saffron over rice. Also add lemon juice. Add remaining oil by the sides of the pan. Cover the lid of the pan.
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over low flame and place the pan with chicken and rice over it. Let it cook for around 30 minutes. Switch off the flame and let it rest for 5-10 additional minutes before opening the lid.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander and roasted nuts while serving.