Are you tired of the same old ways of cooking fish or salmon? Are you looking for something new, flavorful, and exciting to cook for your next dinner party or weeknight meal? Look no further than this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon with Peppers and Tomatoes Recipe.
As a seasoned Israeli chef, I have spent years perfecting this recipe to create a dish that is both authentic to the Middle Eastern region and delicious to taste. The combination of paprika, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and za’atar spice mix adds depth and complexity to the flavors in this dish, while the lemon zest, orange zest, garlic clove, and cayenne pepper provide a burst of freshness and heat.
But it does not stop there; the addition of whole tomatoes, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, and onions creates a medley of textures and flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more. This recipe is so versatile that you can use either fish or salmon fillets depending on your preferences without compromising on taste.
So get excited about trying out this easy-to-follow recipe that incorporates the best of Middle Eastern flavors. Whether it’s a quiet meal at home or an intimate gathering with family and friends, taking a bite of this dish will transport you straight to the Mediterranean Coast. Get ready for tantalizing aromas wafting around your kitchen before diving into an explosion of flavor in every bite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you craving a delicious and healthy Middle Eastern meal? Look no further than this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon with Peppers and Tomatoes Recipe, which features a mix of traditional Mediterranean spices and fresh ingredients. This dish is perfect for any seafood lover who wants a tasty and nutritious meal that can be made in minutes.
One of the best things about this recipe is the combination of spices that creates an unforgettable flavor profile. The earthy and warm tastes of paprika, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and za’atar spice mix are perfect for adding depth to the fish. The zesty flavors from lemon and orange zest complete the flavor sensations by brightening up the dish while cayenne pepper brings the heat.
But it’s not only about the flavor; this recipe is also packed with nutrients that are essential for your diet. Middle Eastern cuisine is known for its healthy properties, so you can be sure you’re doing your body good by indulging in this dish. Plus, it features tons of tomatoes, bell peppers, olive oil, garlic cloves that provide additional health benefits.
Not to mention, this recipe is incredibly versatile. You can substitute salmon for other types of fish or even make it a vegetarian dish by swapping in more veggies like mushrooms or eggplant instead of fish fillets. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or an elegant meal to impress your guests, this recipe has got you covered.
In conclusion, there are plenty of reasons why you’ll love this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon with Peppers and Tomatoes Recipe. The unique spice blend will wake up your taste buds while providing you with essential nutrients that will make you feel satisfied from within. And with its versatility, it’s bound to become a household favorite that you’ll keep coming back to again and again!
Let’s take a closer look at what you’ll need to create this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon With Peppers and Tomatoes Recipe.
- Fish fillets: Use salmon fillets or any other fish of your choice.
- Bell peppers: I recommend using a mix of red and green bell peppers for added color.
- Tomatoes: You will need whole tomatoes that you will chop into bite-size pieces.
- Spices: The combination of paprika, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and cayenne pepper give this dish its vibrant flavor. Don’t forget to add a spoonful of za’atar spice mix, which is a traditional blend of herbs used in Middle Eastern cooking.
- Lemon and orange zest: Adding the zest from one orange and one lemon gives an extra citrusy flavor.
- Garlic clove: One clove will be enough to enhance the flavors of the dish.
- Olive oil: This dish requires a generous drizzle of olive oil to help everything come together.
- Salt and pepper: Season your dish with these essential ingredients.
Now that we have everything sorted let’s dive into how to prepare this delicious Middle Eastern recipe!
The Recipe How-To
If you’re craving for something with the vibrant flavors of Middle Eastern cuisine, then you’ll absolutely love this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon With Peppers and Tomatoes. This dish is packed with tons of aromatic flavors that will bring a bit of spice to your weeknight dinner.
- 4 salmon fillets (or any other firm white fish fillet)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Green bell peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 Red bell peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 3 Whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. za’atar spice mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Lemon zest from 2 lemons
- Orange zest from half an orange
- Olive oil
- Start by preheating your oven to 375℉.
- Heat up some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic to the skillet and sauté until fragrant.
- Add onions with some salt and sauté for about five minutes or until they become translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes with paprika, cumin powder, turmeric powder, za’atar spice mix, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook this mixture until everything is softened and well combined. This sauce will serve as the base of our dish.
- While the sauce simmers, take a baking sheet and put the salmon fillets on it skin-side down.
- Season the fillets evenly with salt, pepper, lemon zest, and orange zest.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the fish fillets.
- Place sliced bell peppers around the fish fillets on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle some olive oil over everything.
- Bake in the oven for about twenty-five minutes or until salmon is cooked through completely.
This Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon With Peppers and Tomatoes is such an impressive looking dish that is actually quite easy to prepare – even on a busy weeknight! Enjoy it alone or pair it with rice or salad for a complete meal that will transport you straight to the Mediterranean coast!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch things up with different flavors or ingredients? Don’t worry, this Middle Eastern fish recipe is very versatile – you can easily swap out some of the ingredients and mix it up to create something deliciously different.
One great alternative is using an Arabic fish fillet instead of salmon. This choice will bring a more intense flavor that pairs perfectly with the tomato sauce and peppers. Add a splash of za’atar spice mix to give it that authentic Middle Eastern flair.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, you can skip the fish altogether and load up on yummy roasted veggies such as carrots, eggplant, and zucchini. Season with paprika, cumin powder, and turmeric powder to give it an eastern twist.
For those who want even more heat in their dish, add a bit of cayenne pepper for that extra spicy kick! This works great if you’re looking to serve this dish with rice or couscous.
If you love stuffed peppers but want to change it up a bit, try substituting the salmon fillets with ground beef or turkey to create a delightful Moroccan-inspired stuffed peppers dish!
No matter what kind of substitution or variation you make, this recipe is quite forgiving, so don’t worry too much about getting everything accurate. Just work with what you have in your pantry or fridge and get creative in your kitchen.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon recipe, there are many options that will complement the rich flavors and textures of the dish. Here are some suggestions:
• Rice: Pairing this dish with fluffy steamed rice is a classic way to serve it. You can season the rice with a pinch of salt or add some chopped parsley for an extra burst of freshness.
• Couscous: Another great option is to serve this dish with a side of couscous. You can prepare it by adding boiling water, salt, and oil or butter to couscous and let it sit for a few minutes, then fluff up the grains with a fork.
• Salad: A fresh and crispy salad is an excellent contrast to the warm and savory Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon. You can make a simple salad with cucumber, tomato, and parsley topped with a light vinaigrette.
• Pita bread: Warm pita bread is a perfect match for this meal since it can be used to scoop up every last bit of sauce on your plate.
• Roasted Vegetables: Adding roasted vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant or carrots can make an already flavorful dish even more deliciously satisfying.
As for beverages, you can pair the Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon recipe with various drinks such as water, lemonade or iced tea. Alternatively, a dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc would also match perfectly with the spicy and aromatic flavors of the meal.
No matter how you decide to serve and pair this dish, one thing is certain – It’s going to be a flavorful and satisfying experience!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Are you someone who loves to prep ahead of time? Good news, this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon with Peppers and Tomatoes recipe is perfect for that! You can prepare the dish up to 24 hours in advance and keep it covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake. This makes it an ideal dish for dinner parties, weeknight dinners or even meal prepping.
For those who prefer to cook in batches, this recipe can also be doubled or tripled without any loss in quality. Simply follow the instructions as usual and place on a larger sheet pan or casserole dish. For storing, carefully transfer the leftover fish and peppers into an airtight container and place them in the refrigerator for up to three days. This dish is versatile enough that you could even eat any leftover salmon as a salad topping during lunch time!
When it comes to reheating, the oven remains your go-to appliance for best results. Cover the salmon with foil and then reheat it in a preheated oven at 350F degrees for 10-15 minutes until warmed throughout. Another way to reheat is by warming it up on the stove with low heat under a lid while stirring occasionally. Micro-waving is not recommended since it can overcook the fish and alter its texture.
Overall, this recipe’s versatility make-ahead potential make it an excellent choice of meal when planning your week ahead. So go ahead and prep your ingredients, store your leftovers properly, reheat your creations perfectly – because nothing should stand between you and enjoying this delicious Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon with Peppers and Tomatoes recipe whenever you desire!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and steps to make this Middle Eastern fish or salmon with peppers and tomatoes, let me share some tips for perfect results.
1. Don’t overcook the fish: Overcooked fish can become dry and tasteless. Make sure to keep an eye on your fish while it’s cooking and remove it from the heat once it flakes easily with a fork.
2. Choose good quality fish: To ensure great-tasting fish, choose fresh and high-quality fish. Also, try to use sustainable fish species that are not overfished.
3. Adjust seasoning to taste: Some people prefer spicier dishes while others enjoy milder flavors. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference by using more or less cumin powder, paprika, turmeric, za’atar spice mix, or cayenne pepper.
4. Use a sheet pan: Baking your fish on a sheet pan will give it an even cook and prevent it from getting mushy. The vegetables will also roast evenly and get tender and delicious.
5. Let the flavors mingle: Once you finish cooking the dish, let it rest for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together, making for a tastier dish.
6. Experiment with other veggies: Feel free to add or substitute different vegetables for the bell peppers and tomatoes in this recipe. Try carrots, zucchini, eggplant or anything else you may like.
7. Pair with lemon zest or orange zest: Adding some citrus zest to your dish will brighten up its flavors and make it more vibrant. Try adding some lemon zest or orange zest to complement the Middle Eastern spices.
8. Serve with a sauce: A sauce can elevate any dish by adding extra flavor and creaminess. Consider serving this dish with tahini sauce or yogurt sauce made with garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.
Applying these tips will ensure that you end up with a delicious Middle Eastern fish or salmon dish that is bursting with flavor and perfectly cooked every single time!
After trying out this Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon With Peppers and Tomatoes Recipe, I can confidently say that it is one of my favorite fish recipes. The burst of Mediterranean flavors from the pepper and tomato sauce mixed with traditional Middle Eastern spices such as za’atar and cumin creates a unique and satisfying dish that is irresistible.
This recipe not only results in a flavorful meal but also offers versatility in serving options. You can serve it with bulgur, mini bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes for a complete meal, or you can stuff the mixture into bell peppers for an elegant twist.
Furthermore, these ingredients add a boost of nutrition to your diet. From the omega-3 rich salmon fillets to the antioxidant-rich bell peppers and tomatoes, this dish truly embraces the concept of delicious and healthy eating.
In conclusion, I highly recommend this recipe because of its delicious taste, versatility in serving options, and nutritional value. It’s also a great way to infuse some Middle Eastern flavors into your cooking repertoire. Give it a try!
Middle Eastern Fish or Salmon With Peppers and Tomatoes Recipe
- 2 lbs fish
- 2 onions, large, sliced thinly
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes (I use Italian tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon za’atar spice mix, spice blend
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large saute pan or skillet, saute the onions, red bell peppers, green bell peppers and jalapeno in olive oil for about 5 minutes on med heat. Don’t let them color.
- Add garlic, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, broken up by hand, with all the juice from the can. Add 1/2 cup water.
- Add everything else except the fish. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning if necessary.
- Put 1/3 of the tomato mixture in a 9×13 roasting dish (Spray with non-stick spray first).
- Arrange fish on tomato mixture.
- Spread the rest of the hot tomato mixture over the fish.
- Bake until fish is just done, about 10-15 minutes, depending upon the thickness of your fish – check it after 5 minutes or so to see how it’s doing.