Imagine taking a journey to the Mediterranean without having to leave your kitchen. Close your eyes and envision the warm sun shining down on you as you indulge in the flavorful cuisine of the Mediterranean region. Luckily, I have just the recipe for you to make this dream a reality in the comfort of your own home.
Introducing my mouth-watering one-pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf recipe, filled with aromatic flavors that will transport your taste buds to Greece, Turkey or Israel. The dish is a hearty blend of tender chicken, fluffy rice, and an array of spices that are sure to leave your taste buds wanting more.
As an Israeli chef living in America, I have brought my roots and love for Middle Eastern cuisine with me. This dish is inspired by many cultures of the Mediterranean region – it is truly a melting pot of flavors! Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and requires minimal effort – which means more time to savor all those aromatic tastes.
This recipe is perfect as a main course for family gatherings or weeknight dinners. It also makes fantastic leftovers that can be enjoyed the next day, so don’t hesitate to make extra!
So what are you waiting for? Let’s take a culinary journey through the Mediterranean with my one-pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Looking for a dish that’s full of delicious Mediterranean flavors, easy to make, and perfect for a one-pot meal? Look no further than my Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf recipe. Here’s why you’ll love this recipe:
Firstly, there’s the chicken thighs. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are used in this recipe because they are juicy, succulent and tender. This makes them a great choice for cooking in one-pot dishes like this Mediterranean chicken and rice pilaf.
Secondly, there’s the mix of spices. We’ll use soy sauce and curry powder to infuse the chicken with flavor right from the start. And when you add in onions, garlic and parsley, they all come together to create a symphony of tastes that will leave you craving more.
Thirdly, there’s the rice pilaf. The rice absorbs all the amazing flavors created by the seasoned chicken and marries them together into one delicious bite. The combination of fluffy long-grain rice with aromatic seasoning blend results in a soft but flavorful side dish that complements the chicken perfectly.
Fourthly, it is an all-in-one pot recipe. When I say one pot, I mean One-Pot! You don’t have to worry about making multiple dishes or dirtying every pan in your kitchen – just throw everything into one pot on medium-high heat and let it cook until you have an incredible dinner that’s ready to serve.
Finally, this recipe is perfect for any occasion. Whether for a weeknight family dinner or even as an impressive dish at a special gathering with friends or family- it’s versatile enough to suit all occasions.
All these factors combined make this dish something truly special – a medley of flavors in every bite! So what are you waiting for? Try my Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf recipe tonight!
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf Recipe:
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
For the Rice Pilaf:
- 1 cup long-grain rice (white or brown)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Lemon wedges
You can also add any vegetables of your choice like bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, or tomatoes to enhance the flavor and nutrition.
The Recipe How-To
Now it’s time to jump in and start the mediterranean chicken rice pilaf recipe! Get your large pot, and let’s get started.
Step 1: Heat up the oven for chicken thighs
First, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Step 2: Marinate the boneless skinless chicken thighs
Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, place 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs in. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp curry powder, 2 tsp lemon juice, and minced 2 tsp garlic. Mix well and let it sit for up to 30 minutes.
Step 3: Sauté the onion
While waiting, get a large pot and heat up over medium heat. Add two tablespoons olive oil into the pan. Once hot, add one diced medium onion into the pan until fragrant.
Step 4: Add rice
Next, pour in 2 cups of long-grain rice with two tablespoons of butter into the same pot. Stir well until each grain is evenly coated with oil.
Step 5: Pour in stock mixture
Now it’s time to pour in the stock mixture. In a measuring cup, combine 1 ½ cups of chicken broth with 2 cups of water. Then add to the pot with a teaspoon of salt and bring it to a boil.
Step 6: Put everything together
Once it reaches boiling point, add in the marinated chicken thighs on top of the rice along with some fresh parsley chopped. Cover the pot with its lid and transfer it to a preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
Step 7: Let it rest
Once done cooking, remove from oven and let it rest for about five minutes before serving.
This simple one-pot mediterranean chicken rice pilaf recipe is absolutely easy to follow with minimal steps required! Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re feeling adventurous, or if you want to add a bit of personal touch to this recipe, there are a number of substitutions and variations that you can try out. Here are some ideas:
– Instead of boneless skinless chicken thighs, you could use chicken breasts or even oven-baked chicken. Keep in mind that cooking time may vary depending on the cut of meat.
– For an even more Mediterranean flavor, use basmati rice instead of long-grain rice. Or try substituting wild rice for a nice textural variety.
– If you prefer a vegetarian version of this dish, consider leaving out the chicken altogether and adding some vegetables like sliced bell peppers, zucchini or eggplant.
– Take this dish to the next level by serving it with a side salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh herbs like parsley and basil.
– For an extra tangy kick, add a squeeze of lemon juice over the finished dish before serving.
– If you’re looking for a one-pan meal, feel free to add some veggies like broccoli florets or sliced carrots during the cooking process. Just be sure to adjust cooking time accordingly.
Whatever substitution or variation you decide on, don’t be afraid to get creative with this recipe. Remember that cooking is all about experimentation and finding what works best for your taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
This Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf recipe is a hearty and flavorful one-pot meal that’s both satisfying and delicious. It’s perfect for a casual dinner party or a cozy family meal, and can be served as the main dish or as part of a larger spread.
To make it a complete meal, I like to serve it with some fresh greens such as kale or spinach salad dressed with lemon vinaigrette. This helps balance out the richness of the dish, while also providing a healthy dose of vitamins and nutrients.
If you want to add more vegetables to the mix, you could also pair it with roasted carrots or Brussels sprouts, which add a nice crunch and sweetness to each bite.
For a heartier option, try serving this dish with some naan bread or pita bread on the side, which are perfect for dipping into the flavorful sauce. You can also sprinkle some fresh parsley over the top for an extra burst of freshness.
As for beverages, this dish pairs well with a bold red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Grenache. If you prefer beer, try something malty such as an Amber Ale.
Overall, this Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf recipe is versatile enough to work with a variety of sides and drinks. So feel free to experiment and find your own perfect pairing!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about this Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf recipe is that it makes a fantastic make-ahead meal. You can easily prepare it in advance and store it in the fridge for a few days. This is an ideal option for those who don’t want to cook every day or those who are always on the go.
To make ahead, simply prep the entire dish as directed in the recipe and let it cool before storing it in an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze it for longer storage.
When reheating, you can either heat up individual portions in the microwave or reheat the entire dish on the stove. If reheating from frozen, be sure to thaw the dish first by placing it in the refrigerator overnight.
To reheat on the stove, add a splash of broth or water to prevent sticking and place the rice pilaf over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally until heated through.
I recommend garnishing your reheated rice with freshly chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice to give it that vibrant, fresh flavor. And if you’re feeling extra fancy, consider adding some crumbled feta cheese on top!
Overall, this recipe is incredibly versatile when it comes to storing and reheating. It’s perfect for meal prep or a quick, easy dinner on a busy weeknight.
Tips for Perfect Results
One of the keys to success in cooking is to know some tips and tricks to perfect your dish. For this Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf Recipe, there are a few things that could make your experience even more enjoyable. Here are my tips for getting the most delicious outcome:
1. Pick the right rice – The type of rice you use can affect the texture and flavor of your dish. Opt for long-grain rice, as it separates easily and creates fluffy rice. If you want something heartier and nuttier, try using brown or wild rice.
2. Marinate your chicken – Give your boneless skinless chicken thighs some extra flavor by marinating them in lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce, and curry powder for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
3. Use a heavy pot or pan – A heavy-bottomed pot or pan helps distribute heat evenly and prevents burning.
4. Don’t stir too much – Resist the urge to stir the rice too much while it cooks. Stirring it will release starches, which can cause your pilaf to become sticky instead of fluffy.
5. Add enough liquid – Make sure you add enough liquid (chicken broth and water) according to the recipe when cooking the rice. This will ensure that it is cooked properly and won’t burn.
6. Let it rest – Once you’ve finished cooking your rice pilaf, let it sit for a few minutes with the lid on before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together nicely.
7. Garnish with fresh parsley – Fresh parsley adds a pop of color and freshness to this beautiful Mediterranean Chicken Rice Pilaf Recipe.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a perfectly delicious one-pot Mediterranean chicken and rice pilaf that even your pickiest eaters will love!
If you’re looking for a hearty, flavorful, and easy-to-make meal, this Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf is the perfect recipe for you. With its one-pot preparation method and versatile ingredients, you can customize the dish to suit your tastes and preferences. Whether you’re a fan of chicken, rice, or both, this recipe is sure to satisfy.
Thanks to the combination of lemon juice, fresh parsley, curry powder, soy sauce, and olive oil, this Mediterranean-inspired dish delivers bold flavors that will transport your taste buds to far-off lands. Plus, with its tender boneless skinless chicken thighs and fluffy rice pilaf, this meal provides a satisfying texture that will leave you feeling full and content.
So why not give this recipe a try? Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner or a crowd-pleasing dish to serve at your next potluck or dinner party, this Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf is sure to be a hit. So grab your ingredients and get cooking – you won’t regret it!
Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- In large deep skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the Chicken and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, curry powder and garlic salt.
- Saute until onions begin to soften.
- About 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and hot sauce.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix to coat with spices.
- Pour in the stock.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- About 35 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You