Picture this: a warm summer evening, the sun setting in the distance, and you’re gathered around the grill with some of your closest friends and family. The tantalizing aroma of marinated grilled chicken and shrimp wafting through the air, making your mouth water with anticipation. That’s where my chicken & shrimp shish-kabobs recipe comes in.
This recipe is one of my all-time favorite recipes to serve when entertaining guests, or just when we’re in the mood for a fancy dinner at home. The combination of tender chicken breast, succulent shrimp, and juicy bell peppers will leave you satisfied, but not weighed down. Plus, adding pineapple chunks to the mix adds a burst of tropical sweetness that will transport your taste buds to an island paradise.
If you’re anything like me, you look for meals that are healthy, satisfying, and easy to make. These chicken and shrimp kabobs tick all those boxes. The convenience of grilling them on skewers makes them perfect for meal prep too! You can even make substitutions or variations depending on what’s in season or available at your local supermarket.
I hope this recipe becomes a staple in your kitchen as it is in mine. Buckle up for a culinary adventure with these mouth-watering shish-kabobs!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As soon as you take a bite of my chicken and shrimp shish kabobs, you will never want to go back to any other recipe. There are just so many reasons to love this particular dish.
Firstly, the combination of juicy and tender chicken breast with succulent, grilled shrimp on one skewer is delectable. The meat of the chicken and the shrimp absorb the mouth-watering, lemon-garlic marinade that permeates every inch of it leaving your taste buds singing with joy.
Secondly, the bright and vibrant veggies grilled alongside the meat. Sweet pineapple chunks mingle amidst two shades of bold red bell pepper for an explosion of flavor in every bite.
Thirdly, it’s incredibly easy to make! It only takes 30 minutes or less from start to finish. With this dish, you don’t have to compromise on flavor or time; both factors work well together.
Finally, these shish kabobs can be prepared either indoors or outdoors, making them a versatile choice all year round. These shish kabobs have become so popular that I start making them even before someone requests them as part of a barbecue!
In conclusion, when it comes down to it – whether it’s for its deliciousness, its simplicity, or its versatility – my chicken and shrimp shish kabobs recipe will surely become one of your favorite recipes in no time.
Here is a list of ingredients that I use to make my Chicken & Shrimp Shish-Kabobs recipe:
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes (450 g)
- 1 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined (450 g)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 can of pineapple chunks, drained (8 oz)
- ¼ cup of soy sauce (60 ml)
- ¼ cup of olive oil (60 ml)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wooden or metal skewers
- Vegetable oil for grilling
Note: If you prefer more shrimp than chicken or vice versa, feel free to adjust the amounts accordingly.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, it’s time to put them together and make something delicious. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to create Chicken & Shrimp Shish-Kabobs:
Marinating The Chicken and Shrimp
- Cut 1-inch cubes of boneless, skinless chicken breast into a bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Mix in the marinade and let it sit for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours, refrigerated.
- Cut large shrimp into pieces about the same size as the chicken.
- In another bowl, mix some olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic together in a ziplock bag or large bowl.
- Add the shrimp and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes and also up to for 4 hours.
Preparing The Vegetables
- Cut red peppers, red onions, and pineapple chunks into 1-inch pieces.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
Assembling The Kabobs
- Once you are ready to start grilling your kabobs, preheat your grill to medium-high heat or around 375°F.
- Alternately thread the marinated chicken, shrimp, red bell pepper, red onion, and pineapple onto skewers until they are filled but not overly packed.
Grilling The Kabobs
- Brush the grill grates with some vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill the kabobs over direct heat until they are fully cooked through.
- Cook the chicken shrimp shish kabobs for around 4-5 minutes per side or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F for chicken and shrimp need to be pink outside but opaque in the center for about four minutes per side.
Serving Your Delicious Kabobs
- Remove from the heat once they are finished cooking.
- Let them rest on a platter for around five minutes before serving them alongside your favorite dipping sauce.
Enjoy your flavorful and juicy Chicken & Shrimp Shish-Kabobs fresh off the grill!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to shish-kabobs, the possibilities are endless! The classic combination of chicken and shrimp is undoubtedly delicious, but you can always switch things up a bit to fit your unique taste. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try when making this recipe:
– Vegetarian Variation: Looking for an alternative to the meat-centric shish-kabobs? You can make vegetarian kabobs by swapping the chicken and shrimp with vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and onions.
– Steak Kabobs: If you’re a steak lover, then substitute the chicken or shrimp with cubes of juicy steak for a hearty and protein-packed meal.
– Sausage Skewers: For those who want something with a little more bite, try using sausage instead. Kielbasa, Andouille or Chorizo work great on skewers.
– Pineapple Skewers: Sweeten things up by adding some pineapple chunks in between the chicken and shrimp. The sweetness of the fruit complements well with the salty and savory taste of the meat.
– Garlic Shrimp: Swap out plain shrimp for garlic flavored shrimp which will give an extra burst of flavor.
– Cajun Shrimp & Scallop Kabobs: If you love bold flavors with a touch of spice, these kabobs are for you! Cajun seasoning pairs perfectly with juicy scallops and shrimp.
Whichever variation you choose to make, just remember to adjust your cooking times accordingly since each ingredient will cook at different rates. Don’t be afraid to experiment with flavors that excite your taste buds – after all, this is what creates culinary magic in the kitchen!
Serving and Pairing
As I mentioned earlier, my chicken and shrimp shish-kabobs are perfect for any outdoor gathering or weekend barbeque. When it comes to serving, the kabobs make quite an impression, and the pineapple chunks bring a refreshing balance to the protein-packed skewers. Here, I will suggest some amazing pairings that you can try with this delightful recipe.
Firstly, I recommend serving your kabobs alongside a crisp green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing. The acidic notes in the dressing will add a bit of tanginess to your meal, which will complement the sweetness of the pineapple chunks perfectly. Also, the fresh greens will contrast well with the charred flavors of grilled chicken and shrimp.
Secondly, consider creating a side dish using colorful vegetables such as roasted broccoli or grilled portabella mushrooms. These great ideas complementing the protein in the kabobs nicely and brings out its unique flavors.
If you are feeling adventurous, try making coconut rice as your carb accompaniment for an exciting tropical flair. The fluffy coconut-infused rice adds a subtle sweetness to your meal and is light on the stomach for easy digestion – it also pairs well with spicy chicken glazed with my signature Jamaican-style sauce!
Finally, let’s talk drinks! A cold beer like pale ale or lager would be good to sip while enjoying grilled kabobs at any BBQ party. If you prefer wine over beer, go for a crisp white wine like Riesling with slight hints of lemon in it – this refreshes your palette without overwhelming your senses.
The key is to keep things fresh, balanced and interesting when serving these kabobs. With these recommendations in mind, you’ll be sure to impress all of your guests at the next outdoor dinner party or family get-together.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about these juicy chicken & shrimp shish-kabobs is that they can easily be made ahead of time, stored and reheated to perfection.
If you want to make these kabobs ahead of time, simply assemble them as usual but hold off on grilling them. You can marinade your meats and vegetables overnight in the refrigerator to lock in all the flavors. When you’re ready to grill, simply take them out of the fridge and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes so they cook evenly. This also helps to reduce the cooking time on the grill, which means more time for you to enjoy these tasty treats!
Storing these kabobs is a breeze too. After cooking, let them cool down a bit before storing them in an air-tight container in the fridge. They’ll stay fresh for up to three days.
To reheat your kabobs, you have a couple of options. If you want to maintain their juiciness and tenderness, consider reheating them in the oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and place your kabobs on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Reheat for 10-15 minutes until they’re warmed through.
Alternatively, you can reheat them on a grill or in a pan on medium heat. Make sure to brush them with some oil prior to reheating so that they retain their moisture and mouth-watering tenderness.
No matter which method you choose, these chicken & shrimp shish-kabobs will still be deliciously satisfying after reheating — giving you an easy meal prep option that won’t disappoint!
Tips for Perfect Results
Grilling is an art that requires attentiveness, patience, and precision. As an Israeli chef with many years of grilling experience under my belt, I have learned a few tips and tricks that will help you achieve perfect results when making the Chicken & Shrimp Shish-Kabobs recipe. Here are some of my top tips that will take your shish-kabobs from good to great:
First, make sure to cut the chicken and shrimp into equal-sized pieces to ensure even cooking. This is especially important when threading them onto skewers since smaller pieces tend to cook faster than larger ones. I recommend cutting the chicken breast and shrimp cubes into 1-inch pieces for best results.
Next, preheat your grill to medium-high heat before placing your skewers on it. You want the grill hot enough to sear the exterior of the meat and seafood and create grill marks, but not so hot that it burns or overcooks them. The perfect temperature is about 400-450°F.
Another crucial tip is to oil your grill grates with vegetable oil or a non-stick cooking spray before placing the skewers on them. This will prevent sticking and make it easy to flip the kabobs without breaking them.
To ensure juicy and flavorful meat and seafood, marinate the chicken breast and shrimp in a mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper for at least 30 minutes before grilling. This will infuse them with delicious savory and tangy flavors while tenderizing them.
When grilling your shish-kabobs, try not to overcrowd the grill or move them around too much once they are on the grates. This can cause uneven cooking and sticking. Instead, grill each side for about 4 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (no longer pink) and the shrimp turn pink on both sides (opaque).
Finally, remove the kabobs from the grill once they are cooked properly but not overcooked since this can make them dry and tough. Let them rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat and seafood.
With these simple tips in mind, you’ll be able to make perfectly grilled Chicken & Shrimp Shish-Kabobs every time. Just don’t forget to have fun with experimenting with different marinades and toppings!
In conclusion, these chicken and shrimp shish-kabobs have always been one of my favorite recipes. They are perfect for summer parties, barbecues, or even a cozy night in. With the perfect combination of flavors and textures, these kabobs are sure to delight your taste buds.
Whether you are a meat lover or a seafood enthusiast, this recipe has got you covered. You can easily make substitutions and variations to suit your personal preferences. And if you are feeling adventurous, try adding some cajun shrimp, scallops, or even pineapple chunks to the mix.
Grilling these kabobs brings out the best in every ingredient, creating a dish that is both healthy and delicious. So fire up the grill and get ready for a delicious meal that will leave you satisfied and wanting more.
I hope these tips and recommendations have been helpful to you in making the perfect chicken and shrimp shish-kabobs. Don’t forget to experiment with your favorite ingredients and make this dish your own! Enjoy!
Chicken & Shrimp Shish-Kabobs Recipe
- 1/2 cup chicken breast
- 1/8 red bell pepper
- 4 boiled and de-shelled shrimp
- 5 pineapple chunks
- cut all ingredients until about the size of a half dollar.
- string a mix of the ingredients on skewers and grill until fully cooked.