Welcome to my kitchen, where I whip up sweet treats that never fail to leave my guests astounded. Today, I’m excited to share a delightful recipe that holds a special place in my heart: Pistachio & Raisin Halva. This delectable dessert is a perfect indulgence for those who crave some sweetness after a long day of work.
Halva has been around for centuries and is enjoyed by people from different cultures around the world. In the Middle East, halva is a staple dessert found in every bakery, supermarket, and street vendor. However, this particular pistachio & raisin halva recipe is unique because it comes with a twist of sweet and nutty flavors that make it extra special.
The ingredients used in this recipe are readily available at your local market or grocery store, which means you can whip up this halva at home without breaking the bank. Whether you’re an experienced cook or just starting, this recipe is easy to follow and will take you less than an hour to make.
So what are you waiting for? Join me in my kitchen as we create a dessert that will transport you to the heart of the Middle East with every bite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: You take a bite of sweet, nutty, and decadent bliss that melts in your mouth. Can you taste it? That’s what you’ll experience with each bite of my Pistachio & Raisin Halva Recipe.
First of all, let’s talk about the ingredients. I combine finely chopped pistachio nuts and pudding raisins with toasted sesame seeds and sugar to create a heavenly blend that will have your taste buds singing. Not to mention the rich and aromatic rose water which will give your halva a unique flavor that will transport you to the bustling streets of the Middle East.
But wait, there’s more! What makes my Pistachio & Raisin Halva recipe even more special is the fact that it’s a traditional semolina halva, also known as chickpea flour halva. This Eastern Mediterranean favorite cherry-picks only the best flavors from an array of aromatic spices and herbs like cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, and so much more.
But don’t just take my word for it. Here are a few reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
1. It’s versatile: This is not just any dessert; you can have it for breakfast or an afternoon snack alongside your favorite cup of tea or coffee.
2. It’s easy to make: You only need eight ingredients and a few simple steps to create this tasty masterpiece that will impress any guest.
3. It’s healthy: Pistachios are low in saturated fat and high in protein, fiber, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients.
4. It’s customizable: Add dried apricots or substitute pistachios with almonds for different variations.
5. It’s perfect for sharing: You can make a big batch ahead of time, store it in an airtight container, and enjoy it with friends anytime.
In conclusion, whether you’ve tried traditional semolina halvas before or this sweet delight is entirely new to your palate, one thing remains certain: you’re in for an unforgettable experience with my Pistachio & Raisin Halva recipe.
- 1 cup semolina
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pistachio nuts, finely chopped and lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
That’s all you need to make this amazing dessert. You will find that most of these ingredients are easily available in any grocery store, and some of them may already be there in your pantry.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s get down to business and make this Pistachio & Raisin Halva Recipe happen! Here is your step-by-step guide on how to create this delicious dessert:
These are the ingredients you need for the recipe:
- 1 cup of semolina halva (or any other traditional halva, such as chickpea flour raisins or sweet semolina halva)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup of toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup of pistachio nuts, finely chopped and lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup of raisins, soaked and drained
- Pistachio halva, rose water, or tahini (optional)
- In a large skillet, combine the semolina halva and sugar, stirring frequently until the mixture is heated through and fragrant.
- Add in the toasted sesame seeds, pistachios, and raisins. Stir everything together until it is fully combined.
- Remove the skillet from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Once cooled off for a few minutes, transfer the mixture to a bowl or another container that will make storing later easy.
- Press down on the halva mixture with a spoon or spatula so that it is compacted tightly into a single form.
- Let the halva cool completely at room temperature or refrigerate if you prefer serving it cold.
- Optional: You can top with pistachio halva, drizzle some rose water over your halva once it has chilled significantly in the refrigerator, or add some tahini.
For those wanting to try something different with this recipe – Pistachio & Raisin Halva Swirl, simply follow these directions:
1. Make two separate batches using our previous instructions above.
2. Press one batch of each together while still hot in separate containers.
3. Chill overnight in the fridge for best results.
Follow these simple steps to create a dessert delight that will be sure to impress all who try it!
Substitutions and Variations
Let’s face it, sometimes you don’t have all the ingredients in your pantry or you’re just looking to mix things up. Luckily, this recipe is versatile and there are many substitutions and variations you can make to suit your taste buds or dietary restrictions.
Firstly, if you don’t have raisins or prefer a different dried fruit, you can substitute them with dried apricots, dried figs, or even chopped dates! These will still give the halva a sweet and chewy element that complements the nuttiness of the pistachios.
If you’re allergic to nuts or just not a fan, you can swap out the pistachio nuts for other nuts, such as almonds or cashews. These will still provide the desired texture and flavor that complement the sweetness of the halva.
For those who prefer a more savory taste profile, you can also experiment with adding spices like cardamom, nutmeg or cinnamon to your halva mixture. These additions can help give your dish an exotic twist on this traditional Middle Eastern dessert.
If you’re looking for a vegan option, replace honey with maple syrup or another alternative sweetener. Additionally, if you want to switch up the semolina halva recipe, try chickpea flour instead of semolina to create a unique taste experience.
Lastly, if you want to get creative with presentation options or have guests coming over and want to make it special – use cookie cutters and create Halva Chickpea Sandwich Cookies! This next level dessert item will have them begging for seconds!
Remember: don’t be afraid to experiment and try different things to make this recipe your own. Half the fun is exploring different flavors and textures!
Serving and Pairing
Pistachio and raisin halva is an indulgent dessert that can be served after a meal or with a cup of tea or coffee. To make it even more special, you can add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. The creamy sweetness of the whipped cream perfectly balances the nutty flavor of the pistachios and enhances the texture of the raisins.
Another great way to serve this halva is by pairing it with fresh fruit, such as figs, pomegranates, or raspberries. The juicy and tangy flavor of the fruits complements the sweetness of the halva and makes for a refreshing and satisfying dessert. You can also serve a side of chopped pistachios or sesame seeds to sprinkle on top for extra crunch.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try serving this halva with Turkish delight (rahat lokum), a type of sweet confectionery that comes in various flavors like rose, lemon, orange, and mint. The chewy texture and fruity flavor of the Turkish delight pairs perfectly with the nuttiness of the halva.
Lastly, if you want to keep it simple yet delicious, you can enjoy this halva straight out of the container. Just grab a spoon and savor each bite slowly, allowing the flavors to melt in your mouth. However you choose to serve it, pistachio and raisin halva is a decadent treat that will surely satisfy your sweet tooth.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now that you have created a delicious pistachio and raisin halva, you may be wondering about how to store leftovers, or whether it can be made ahead of time. The good news is that this tasty treat can be stored for several days when properly stored.
To store the halva, place it in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is important to note that while the halva will stay fresh for several days, it may begin to harden over time as it loses moisture. This doesn’t affect the flavor, though, so don’t let its texture discourage you from enjoying it.
If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, simply prepare as directed and allow to cool before storing. You can even freeze the halva in an airtight container for up to three months. To reheat, allow the halva to come back to room temperature and enjoy it as if it were freshly made.
When reheating your halva, there are a few different approaches depending on personal preference. You can either microwave the halva for 15-20 seconds or heat it in a low-temperature oven (around 150-170°F) for 5-10 minutes. Be sure not to overheat your halva as this may cause it to dry out and become brittle.
With these tips for storing and reheating your pistachio and raisin halva, you’re sure to keep enjoying this delicious dessert long after its initial preparation – so don’t hesitate to make a large batch!
Tips for Perfect Results
As an experienced chef, I’ve learned that even the slightest mistakes can ruin a recipe. So, to ensure that your Pistachio & Raisin Halva turns out perfectly, here are my top tips:
1. Toast the nuts and sesame seeds: Toasting brings out the natural oils and intensifies their flavors. Toast 1 cup of pistachio nuts and 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds until lightly browned.
2. Use a heavy-bottomed pan: When making halva, you’ll need to cook the sugar syrup until it reaches the right consistency. A heavy-bottomed pan ensures even heat distribution and helps prevent burning.
3. Keep an eye on the sugar syrup: Cooking the sugar syrup to the right stage is critical for success with this recipe. Use a candy thermometer or do a water test to ensure that the sugar syrup is cooked to the right stage.
4. Keep stirring: Halva requires continuous stirring while heating to prevent lumps from forming. Be sure to be attentive while preparing.
5. Set for at least 2 hours before serving: Once you’ve made the halva, transfer it to a greased plate or baking dish and let it cool/set for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
By following these simple tips, you will make delicious Pistachio & Raisin Halva every time. Happy cooking!
Now that you know all about this delicious Pistachio & Raisin Halva Recipe, why not try making it yourself? With its crunchy pistachios and fluffy semolina, this dessert is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Whether you’re a fan of traditional Middle Eastern desserts or just looking for something new and exotic to try, this recipe has something to offer everyone.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron, gather your ingredients, and get ready to make the most delicious Pistachio & Raisin Halva Recipe ever! With its easy-to-follow steps, you’ll be able to whip up this dessert in no time. And don’t forget to experiment with different variations and substitutions to make the recipe truly your own.
This recipe will definitely impress your guests and make them fall in love with the Middle Eastern cuisine. The subtle nutty flavor of pistachios and the sweetness of raisins along with a hint of honey will take your taste buds on a heavenly trip. Once you give it a try, you’ll see why this irresistible Pistachio & Raisin Halva Recipe is worth making again and again.
So go ahead and enjoy this flavorful dessert! Your taste buds will thank you later.
Pistachio & Raisin Halva Recipe
- 1 cup toasted sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nuts, finely chopped and lightly toasted
- 1 -2 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a coffee grinder grind sesame seeds with sugar till fine powder.
- Put in food processor bowl with rest of ingredients and pulse to form a stiff batter.
- Shape into a loaf.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before slicing.