Welcome to my kitchen! I’m excited to share with you my recipe for Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli. This traditional Italian dessert has been given a fall twist with the addition of pumpkin pie spice and canned pumpkin, which make it the perfect treat for autumn months.
As an Israeli chef, I believe that the best dishes are those that can be shared with loved ones and enjoyed together. The process of creating this delicious dessert is just as enjoyable as eating it, and I hope that making it will become a cherished tradition in your home like it has in mine.
The combination of creamy ricotta cheese, delicate mascarpone, pumpkin puree and crunchy pistachios creates a texture that’s perfectly balanced between smooth and crispy. The spices blend flawlessly in this recipe to create a flavor profile that’s both warming and familiar.
So whether you’re looking for a dessert after dinner or hosting a dinner party, my Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli fits the bill. So let’s head to my kitchen and start cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As a chef, I know how important it is to create dishes that not only provide great taste but also an incredible dining experience. That’s precisely what you’ll get with my Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli Recipe. Allow me to convince you why you will love this recipe.
For starters, the blend of pumpkin and pistachio nut flavors make for a unique and distinctive dessert. The creamy spiced pumpkin filling provides an excellent balance of sweetness and spice, while the chopped pistachios give it a delightful nutty crunch. Every bite is a harmonious symphony of flavors that will awaken your taste buds.
Another reason to fall in love with this recipe is its versatility. It’s a dessert that can be enjoyed any time of year, whether as a charming holiday treat or as a grand finale for any dinner party. It will undoubtedly impress your guests with its classic presentation and mouth-wateringly satisfying flavor.
If you’re looking for an easy yet impressive homemade dessert option, these Pumpkin Pistachio Cannolis are perfect! They may seem like they are complicated, but trust me, they are surprisingly easy to make with just a few simple steps. You’ll be surprised how among friends and family significantly increases when you introduce these delicious cannolis!
To wrap it up, there’s no need to wait for the holiday season to appreciate pumpkin-themed desserts; my Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli Recipe is both enchanting and versatile, on top of being straightforward to make. So why wait? Go ahead and give this recipe a try, and I guarantee it won’t be long before everyone is asking for seconds!
Here’s everything you’ll need to make Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli:
For the Cannoli Shells
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten for sealing
For the Filling
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts, chopped.
You can get most of these ingredients from your nearest grocery store. In case you can’t find some ingredients, here are some substitution and variation ideas that can work as a perfect alternative.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, let’s dive into how to make these delicious Pumpkin Pistachio Cannolis at home. Trust me, making cannoli shells from scratch is surprisingly easy, and they taste so much better than store-bought ones.
For the shells:
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature and cut into small pieces
- ½ cup (120 ml) dry Marsala wine or white wine
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
For the filling:
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces (113 grams) mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (240 grams) canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup (90 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (60 grams) shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
Step 1: Make the dough
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt. Add in butter and incorporate it with your fingers until the mixture becomes crumbly. Slowly pour in Marsala wine and mix with a wooden spoon until dough forms.
Step 2: Prepare and shape the cannoli shells
Roll out your dough on a floured surface until it’s about as thin as a pie crust. Use a round cookie cutter or glass rim to cut out circles of dough. Wrap each circular piece of dough around a cannoli tube that has been brushed with egg white.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat to fry the prepared cannoli shells. Once heated, gently place a few of them into the pan at once and fry them until they turn light golden brown all around. Remove them from the oil with metal tongs and let drain on paper towels before removing tubes from shells.
Step 3: Make the filling
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg until light and fluffy using an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
Then fold in canned pumpkin puree and chopped pistachio nuts into the mixture.
Step 4: Assemble the cannolis
When shells are completely cool, use a piping bag to fill each shell with the prepared pumpkin-pistachio filling. Using another pastry bag with decorative piping tip filled with extra filling is an option for presentation!
Your Pumpkin Pist
Substitutions and Variations
One of the great things about cooking is that you can always put your own twist on a recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations to consider when making this Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli Recipe.
1. Swap pistachio nuts for pecans: If you’re not a fan of pistachios, try using pecans instead. They have a similar texture and flavor profile and will pair just as well with the pumpkin filling.
2. Use different spices: While pumpkin spice is a holiday classic, you can experiment with different spice combinations to create unique, spiced pumpkin cannolis. Try adding cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice to your filling to create your own signature blend.
3. Mix up the cheeses: This recipe calls for a combination of ricotta cheese and mascarpone cheese, but you could also use cream cheese or goat cheese in place of the mascarpone. Similarly, you could use sweetened condensed milk or heavy cream in place of the ricotta cheese for a more decadent filling.
4. Add chocolate: For an extra indulgent touch, consider adding chocolate chips or cocoa powder to your filling mixture. You can also drizzle melted chocolate over the finished cannolis for a truly decadent dessert.
5. Experiment with different shells: While traditional cannoli shells are made with flour and egg whites, you can also try using bread or cake flour for a slightly softer texture. You could even use pre-made wonton wrappers and deep-fry them to create a crispy shell that pairs perfectly with the creamy pumpkin filling.
Remember, there’s no right way to make this recipe – feel free to get creative and add your own personal touch!
Serving and Pairing
As a chef, I can assure you that nothing screams “fall” more than a bite of these pumpkin pistachio cannolis. The crunchy pistachios pair so perfectly with the sweet pumpkin filling that it’s impossible not to fall in love with this dessert.
Now, let’s talk about serving and pairing. When it comes to presentation, there are many ways you can be creative. I suggest dusting some powdered sugar on top of the cannolis for a dramatic and gorgeous effect or sprinkle some crushed pistachios on top for an extra crunch!
But then comes the fun part: pairing. Because autumn is already a season full of flavors, it’s important to find drinks and treats that complement the uniqueness of this pumpkin pistachio dessert.
One classic pairing that I love is coffee or tea – specifically, a piping hot apple cider or a sweet latte, which add warmth and spice to the experience. Alternatively, if you’re feeling adventurous, you could try pairing it with a spicy ginger ale as well!
For an even more savory combination, I suggest serving this Italian dessert after a meal of roasted turkey or chicken with crispy Brussels sprouts alongside mashed potatoes as your main course. This will enable your guests to appreciate the diversity of flavors they just encountered while satiating their appetite.
In summary, this pumpkin pistachio cannoli recipe will surely satisfy your taste buds during any occasion. Whether you’re making them for a family gathering or treating yourself at home, just sit back and enjoy this spiced pumpkin cannoli by pairing it with your favorite drinks and complementing dishes.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
I know the joy of being able to prepare desserts in advance so that you can enjoy them at your leisure. But, how about the pumpkin pistachio cannoli? Have no worries, because I’ve got you covered.
If you want to prepare the cannoli filling in advance, it can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to fill the shells. However, make sure to hold off on adding the crushed pistachios until right before serving. The shells themselves can also be prepared up to two days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
After preparation, store the leftovers in an airtight container (either plastic or glass) in the refrigerator for up to three days. Suppose you want to keep them for longer; avoid filling them with the pistachios until you’re ready to serve them. Moreover, be sure not to pile up the cannoli on top of one another. Doing so will cause them to become too soggy.
To preserve their crispy texture, avoid reheating filled cannoli shells. Once they have been filled, they will quickly become soft, ruining their textures and flavors. Suppose you need or prefer to keep them warm before eating; try heating only the unfilled shells in a preheated oven at 375°F for 5-7 minutes.
Remember that any leftovers should be stored properly and cool enough before leaving at room temperature. Then let yourself savor as much pumpkin pistachio cannoli as you’d like!
Tips for Perfect Results
Making pumpkin pistachio cannoli may seem daunting at first, but don’t worry–with a little patience and these tips, your cannoli will turn out amazing each time. Here are some tips for perfect results:
1. Use well-chilled ingredients: it is essential to keep the ingredients for the filling properly chilled and refrigerated. This will help the filling to hold its shape better when piped into the hollow cannoli shells.
2. Don’t overfill the shells: be careful not to overfill the cannoli shells, or they may break or become soggy. Fill them slowly and stop when you reach the center of each side of the shell.
3. Use different nuts: while pistachio nuts are commonly used in traditional cannoli recipes, you can also try substituting with pecans or almonds for a unique taste.
4. Add pumpkin pie spice: this adds an extra level of flavor to the filling, giving it that distinct fall taste. You can also add more or less of it depending on your preference.
5. Make your own cannoli shells: if you have never made your own cannoli shells before, don’t be intimidated as it’s surprisingly easy! Homemade shells will taste fresher and better than store-bought ones.
6. Drizzle chocolate on top: chocolate pairs perfectly with the pumpkin pistachio filling, so consider drizzling melted chocolate on top of your cannoli for an extra touch of decadence.
7. Use mascarpone cheese: while cream cheese is often used in cannoli fillings, using a mixture of mascarpone cheese and ricotta cheese gives it a creamier and smoother consistency.
By following these tips, you’ll have perfect pumpkin pistachio cannoli every time!
Now that you know all the essential details about this pumpkin pistachio cannoli recipe, it’s time to address some of the questions you might have before getting started. Here are a few frequently asked questions (FAQ) to help you make the most out of your baking journey.
Is mascarpone or ricotta better for cannoli?
For the creamy and delicious filling of cannoli, ricotta is the primary ingredient while mascarpone adds a tangy and rich flavor. To ensure the perfect consistency, strain the ricotta overnight to eliminate any excess liquid. Though substituting mascarpone with more ricotta is possible, I highly recommend using half of each for the ideal filling.
What is pistachio cannoli made of?
For this recipe article, I’ll be sharing how to make delicious Sicilian Cannoli with a delectable Pistachio Cream filling. To make the filling cream, we’ll need some sugar, vegetable oils such as sunflower and palm, skimmed milk powder, whey powder, lactose, and 9% Pistachio nuts. Additionally, we’ll be using SOYA Lecithin as an emulsifier and flavorings to enhance the taste of our filling cream.
What makes cannolis so good?
When it comes to cannolis, the flavors are perfectly balanced – sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. The filling possesses a velvety smoothness with a slight tang from the cheese. Meanwhile, the shell is slightly sweet with a crisp texture, yet strong enough to contain the luscious filling.
What Italian dessert is made from sweetened ricotta stuffed into crispy pastry tubes?
Cannoli, the delectable Italian dessert, is crafted with fried pastry shells molded into a tube-like shape. After the crispy golden shells have chilled, they are generously stuffed with a delightful mix of sweetened ricotta and luscious chocolate.
In conclusion, this Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli recipe is an impressive dessert that combines the flavors of pumpkin pie spice and pistachio nuts to create a truly memorable Italian treat. It may seem like it requires a lot of effort to make, but I assure you that with a little patience and some willingness to try something new, anyone can prepare this amazing dessert.
By combining ingredients like ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese, canned pumpkin, and confectioners’ sugar, you’ll be able to create a rich, sweet filling that complements the crisp texture of the cannoli shells perfectly. And by taking advantage of the tips and substitutions detailed in this recipe article, you can personalize your cannolis to your taste, whether by adding pecans or trying out different variations of spices.
So, for those who crave both pumpkin spice and delicious Italian desserts but haven’t found the perfect way to combine them yet, this recipe is perfect for you. With its unique blend of flavors, textures, and aromas. This Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli recipe will satisfy any sweet tooth all while elevating the traditional Italian dessert beyond expectations.
Pumpkin Pistachio Cannoli Recipe
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted pistachio nuts or 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 12 premade cannoli shells
- In a large bowl, stir together mascarpone cheese, confectioners sugar, pumpkin, ricotta and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup nuts. Set aside.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Cannoli can be made immediately or filling can be covered and chilled up to 4 hours.
- To serve, spoon pumpkin mixture into a self-sealing plastic bag. Snip a 3/4 inch hole in one corner. Pipe filling into each cannoli shell so pumpkin filling extends to ends of shell. Sprinkle the ends with remaining nuts. Arrange on a serving platter and dust with confectioners sugar.