Oh noble cooks and admirers of fine cuisine, I bid thee welcome! I am Ehud, a humble scribe for the renowned Israeli chef. Today, I am honored to share with you a recipe that is sure to delight your senses – Grilled Zucchini Hummus!
My friends, this recipe is no ordinary hummus – it’s a unique twist on the classic that will have you craving for more. By grilling zucchinis, we give the hummus a smoky flavor that perfectly balances the creaminess of the chickpeas. And with just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can create an appetizer that will impress all who try it.
But why stop there? This dish can also be used in a variety of ways – as a dip, spread or even as the main ingredient in wraps or sandwiches! It’s time to say goodbye to boring appetizers and hello to something truly special.
So join me on this culinary adventure as we fire up our grills and make some unforgettable Grilled Zucchini Hummus. Let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Oh dear readers, let me entreat your hearts and appetites with an earnest recommendation of the Grilled Zucchini Hummus Recipe. I, Ehud – an Israeli chef, have crafted this recipe with care, and I assure you that it is a dish worth trying.
Firstly, if you are fond of hummus but seeking a refreshing twist to the classic dip, then this grilled zucchini hummus is the answer to your prayers. The combination of tangy lemon juice, cumin, and creamy tahini blended with smoky grilled zucchini surpasses the mundane hummus flavor profile.
Not only does this recipe provide a delicious change to traditional hummus, it brings a fresh spring or summer atmosphere to any table. Grilled zucchinis give the hummus a fresh flavor which is reminiscent of sunny days and chirping birds. It’s perfect for serving as an appetizer or side dish at social gatherings or intimate dinners.
Moreover, this recipe is perfect for those who are health-conscious but don’t want to sacrifice taste. Baked or raw zucchinis alone can offer many health benefits, such as being low in calories and high in vitamins A and C. By grilling them and incorporating them into hummus makes for an excellent source of protein and fiber that’s both filling and healthy.
With so much delectable flavor packed into one easy-to-make recipe, how can you resist? Trust me; it will become one of your staple recipes that fulfills your cravings while adhering to your healthy lifestyle. So why not give it a try? You won’t be disappointed!
400 g (2 medium) zucchini: sliced
3 tablespoons roasted zucchini
3 cloves garlic
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
4 cups extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper 1, to taste
Ingredients 2: Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wrap
1 grilled zucchini, cut into inch-thick slices
1/2 cup tahini grilled zucchini
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
Juice 1 fresh lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper 2, to taste
Optional Ingredients for Serving:
Tomatoes halved (1)
Red onion sliced (1)
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have our ingredients all prepped and ready to go, let’s get started on putting together this easy and delicious grilled zucchini hummus recipe!
Preheat the Grill
- Before anything else, preheat your grill to medium heat.
Prepare the Zucchinis
- Cut both zucchinis into 1/3 inch [(8mm)] slices.
- Brush them with olive oil (about 2 tbsp) and sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the zucchini slices for about 2-3 minutes each side until they are nicely chargrilled.
Tahini and Garlic Hummus
- The next step is getting our delicious tahini garlic hummus prepared.
- In a food processor, add the following ingredients: 3 chopped cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice, 1 can of chickpeas (400g), ½ cup of tahini, 2 tsp ground cumin, ¾ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground pepper.
- Pulse it all together while slowly adding up to ⅓ cup of cold water until the hummus is smooth and creamy.
Combine Hummus and Zucchini Slices
- In a medium bowl, mix about half of the tahini hummus with the chopped grilled zucchini.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the top.
- Garnish with some freshly chopped thyme or basil leaves!
- This grilled zucchini hummus is such a versatile dish that you can enjoy in many different ways!
- For instance, you could enjoy it as a dip for your favorite veggies or pita chips, use it as a spread in a wrap or sandwich, or simply add it as a topping to your salad.
- Whatever you choose to do, I guarantee that this dish will be a huge hit!
With these simple steps, you have now made an amazing homemade grilled zucchini hummus dish that is sure to color up your day with its vibrant flavors!
Substitutions and Variations
What is the beauty of cooking, if not for creativity and experimentation? This dish can be customized to your taste buds and preferences, and there are endless possibilities for substitutions and variations. Here are a few suggestions to get your creative juices flowing:
– Swap out the zucchini for roasted or grilled eggplant to make an eggplant hummus recipe. Or try combining both vegetables for a unique twist on this classic dip.
– Love spice? Add in some diced jalapeño peppers or red pepper flakes for a fiery kick.
– Not a fan of tahini? Switch it out for almond butter or sunflower seed butter, or omit it altogether.
– Want to keep things light and fresh? Replace some of the tahini with yogurt or silken tofu.
– Tired of plain old pita bread? Try serving your grilled zucchini hummus with crudités like carrot sticks, sliced cucumbers, or bell pepper strips.
– Feeling adventurous? Experiment with different herbs like oregano, rosemary, or even mint in your hummus recipe.
Remember that cooking is all about having fun, so don’t be afraid to take some risks and try new things. Who knows – you might just discover your new favorite variation of this tasty grilled zucchini hummus!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve whipped up a batch of this grilled zucchini hummus, there are a variety of ways you can enjoy it. For a simple snack, I recommend serving it with pita bread or raw vegetables like carrots and celery. The creamy texture pairs beautifully with the crisp crunch of veggies.
You can also use it as a base for a veggie wrap recipe. Spread the hummus on a tortilla, then layer on sliced tomatoes, red onion, and more roasted zucchini. Roll up the wrap and enjoy! It’s a fresh and healthy lunch option that’s perfect for hot days.
If you’re looking for other pairings, let me suggest trying this grilled zucchini hummus with a side salad or some grilled chicken. It’s also delicious drizzled over roasted vegetables or tossed with warm pasta. Get creative with how you serve it!
Overall, this recipe is incredibly versatile and pairing possibilities are endless, so feel free to experiment and find what tastes best to you.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Ah, the age-old question: can hummus be made ahead of time? The short answer is yes, it certainly can! In fact, I recommend making this grilled zucchini hummus recipe ahead of time for optimal flavor.
To make ahead of time, let the hummus cool after grilling the zucchini and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months, but I suggest adding a little extra olive oil to help maintain its smooth consistency once thawed.
When reheating, simply remove the hummus from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature before serving. If you prefer it warmed up, you can reheat on the stovetop over medium heat while stirring constantly until heated through.
As for storing unused zucchini, remove its ends and wrap in a paper towel before storing in a plastic bag in your fridge’s crisper drawer. It should last for up to five days. You could even grill an extra zucchini or two while you’re at it and save them for other dishes or snacks throughout the week.
Now that you know all about how to make-ahead, store and reheat this delicious grilled zucchini hummus recipe, there’s nothing stopping you from creating this dish any day of the week!
Tips for Perfect Results
For the perfect Grilled Zucchini Hummus, here are some tips that I have learned from my experience in the kitchen.
Firstly, it is important to preheat your grill to medium-high heat. This will ensure that the zucchini slices are cooked evenly and not too quickly. Also, when placing your sliced zucchini on the grill, make sure to not overcrowd the space as this can cause uneven cooking.
Secondly, it is recommended to use fresh ingredients for this hummus recipe. Fresh lemon juice and garlic cloves can make a huge difference in the taste and texture of the hummus. Additionally, use extra virgin olive oil as it has a more robust flavor compared to regular olive oil.
Thirdly, don’t be afraid to season with salt and pepper! These simple ingredients enhance the natural flavors of the dish and bring out a depth of taste you wouldn’t get otherwise. I usually sprinkle some ground cumin on top of the hummus for added flavor.
Fourthly, try adding fresh thyme or basil to your chargrilled zucchini for an extra kick. These herbs pair well with zucchini and add a burst of freshness to your dish.
Lastly, if you’re feeling creative, experiment with different serving options! The Grilled Zucchini Hummus goes great with raw or baked zucchini slices or even wrapped up in a tortilla for a zucchini roll-up. It’s also perfect for making veggie wraps or sandwich roll-ups.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and healthy dish with ease. Don’t let complicated recipes intimidate you – sometimes all you need is simple ingredients prepared perfectly!
So there you have it, my fellow foodies! My recipe for grilled zucchini hummus is sure to impress even the most discerning palate. Not only is this dish easy to make, but it’s also healthy and packed with flavor.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy snack, or a tasty addition to your next dinner party, this recipe has got you covered. So why settle for boring, uninspired snacks when you can whip up a fresh and delicious batch of grilled zucchini hummus instead?
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and see for yourself just how mouth-wateringly delicious it is. And don’t forget to experiment with your own variations and substitutions – after all, that’s what cooking is all about! Trust me, once you’ve tasted the chargrilled zucchini combined with the creamy goodness of tahini and lemon juice, you’ll never go back to raw zucchini again.
So go ahead, fire up that grill and get ready to impress your taste buds (and your guests) with this amazing grilled zucchini hummus recipe. Happy cooking!
Grilled Zucchini Hummus Recipe
- 1 lb zucchini (I prefer the smaller ones because they are less "seedy")
- 1/4 cup roasted tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Heat a grill to high. Use an oil-soaked paper towel held with tongs to lightly oil the grill grates.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini, then slice it in half lengthwise.
- If the seeds are large and watery, use a melon baller or small spoon to scrape out and discard most of the seeds from the center of each half.
- It’s not critical to get them all. If the inside of the zucchini appears firm and the seeds small, you don’t need to scrape them out.
- Place the zucchini on the grill, cut side up, then reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until just lightly browned and starting to get tender.
- Set aside to cool.
- When the zucchini has cooled enough to handle, place it in a food processor.
- Add the roasted tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Process for 1 minute, or until very smooth.
- The hummus can be served immediately, or chilled to serve later. Bring to room temperature before serving though.
- Note: this hummus will thicken slightly as it chills.